WANETAM-3 NODE OF EXCELLENCE –
Job Description: POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER (Malaria)
The West Africa Network of Excellence for clinical trials in TB, AIDS, and Malaria (WANETAM), with funding support from the European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP), has instituted The Professor Ogobara K. Doumbo Postdoctoral Fellowship Program to train talented West African early postdoctoral researchers in the Malaria work package from WANETAM member institutions. There are two positions, and they will be funded until September 2024 and supports research on malaria.
The Post-Doctoral Fellows are expected to contribute towards the research effort of WANETAM, develop his/her research expertise through the pursuit of defined projects relevant to the proposed area of work, compete for international funding for research work, grow his/her network, output publications, and provide mentorship for junior colleagues. The positions attract an annual stipend of 25K Euros.
The successful candidate will be immersed in the multidisciplinary research environment of WANETAM member institutions and work closely with a diverse team of scientists and international collaborators on a number of exciting well-funded projects. The fellows may also be expected to lead laboratory-based efforts to study the malaria parasite and/or the host response, and ideally lead or engage fully in related bioinformatic and analytical work. Research will focus on two areas within the malaria work package; drug efficacy studies (in vivo and ex vivo) and mass drug treatment of low and high malaria endemic populations. The training positions will be primarily hosted by the Research Training and Career
Development Unit of the MRC Unit The Gambia (MRCG) at LSHTM, Fajara, The Gambia, but the post-holder could be based at any WANETAM member institution involved in the malaria work package. Fellows will receive considerable mentorship and guidance from senior malaria researchers in the Network.
QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!!!
1. Dr Alfred Ngwa (firstname.lastname@example.org), MRCG at LSHTM, Fajara, The Gambia
2. Dr Makhtar Nyang (email@example.com), Institute Pasteur Dakar, Senegal
3. Dr Halidou Tinto (firstname.lastname@example.org), CRUN, Burkina Faso
4. Dr Safiatou Niare (email@example.com), USTTB, Mali
To be eligible for the fellowship, a candidate must:
• Be Affiliated with one of the WANETAM-3 member institutions involved in Malaria WP
• Have completed his/her doctorate within the last five years
• Below 45 years of age
• Not currently funded as postdoc fellow
• Demonstrate his/her fluency (writing, speaking, and reading) in English
The post-holder will oversee the collection of quantitative and qualitative data related to the proposed project objectives and link in with similar data collection at other WANETAM member institutions within West Africa.
• Manage malaria field studies, including ensuring that study objectives and methods are explained in an appropriate language to potential study participants and/or guardians as applicable, and informed consent is obtained prior to enrolment.
• Motivate, supervise, train, and monitor the daily work of clinical and field team to ensure that recruitment, clinical assessment, care, and follow-up of study participants and collection of data and samples are taken accurately, according to protocol and in a timely fashion.
• Undertake approved high-quality research under the direction of the sponsoring PI and contribute to drafting grant proposals, original manuscripts and other outputs.
• Conduct literature review and perform data analysis necessary for the implementation of the study
• Present research findings at relevant academic conferences and seminars
• Participate in clinical and scientific meetings.
• Supervision of staff towards meeting study objectives and timelines.
• Ensure work practices within the research group comply with relevant international standards of good clinical and laboratory practice.
• Providing mentorship to PhD and MSc students as may be required.
– A PhD in a biomedical science or related clinical field
– Track record of malaria research, including working with human malarial parasites
– Evidence of high-quality academic research and publications
– Good communication skills including scientific discussion and writing
– Practical experience of health research in malaria endemic countries.
– Membership or Fellowship of relevant post-graduate medical college
– Proficiency in the use of statistical softwares such as Stata and R.
– Evidence of grantmanship as lead or co-invesitgator
– Experience in teaching and supervision
– Willingness to relocate to another WANETAM member country
The Selection Committee will assess each eligible application according to the following criteria:
• The relevance of the proposal to the thematic area of action.
• The applicant qualifications and motivations.
• The research quality of the project.
• The applicant research ability and potential.
• The academic basis of the post-doctoral project at the host Institution.
Promising candidates will be invited for interview with expert panel within one month of
submitting their applications. After the preselection by the expert panels, you will be notified
and depending on your result, invited to the second round of interviews. The results will be
announced via email on May 31, 2022.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS (please read carefully and follow strictly):
1. Prospective applicants MUST submit the following in English ONLY (Microsoft Word or PDF
a) A Written Research Proposal aligned to the Malaria WP objectives
b) An application letter outlining your research experience, and the reasons why you are
interested in this position
c) A copy of your Curriculum Vitae
d) Two (2) referee statement of support for your application
e) Supporting Letter from your host institution
f) Recommendation Letter from your home institution
2. Candidates are to submit the above listed documents by Email to Research Training &
Career Development Unit of MRCG at LSHTM at: firstname.lastname@example.org (copy to: email@example.com)
a) Use Email subject heading: “POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER (WANETAM Malaria).”
3. Deadline for applications: 30/04/2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Interested candidates may contact the supervisors at or firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish
to get more information.